Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge Volume 233


1. It's hard to believe, but next week's Hodgepodge will find us in the month of September. What's one thing you want, need, or hope to do still before summer officially ends?

I have no idea. We don't go in much for the usual round of barbecuing, camping, boating, beach days, or other such things that one associates with summer. We're pretty quiet homebodies. It will be nice to have Vic home while the evenings are still light since he's been gone for most of the summer. I think we'll put some steaks on the grill and sit out on the deck with a glass of wine and just relax.

2. When were you last at 'your wit's end'?

I'm at my wit's end right now at work - I've walked into an office where most of the employees have been in this environment for 15+ years. They know everyone, every process, every acronym, and there I am, the constant question-asker. There are days when I think I'm not going to survive until the final whistle blows! Despite that, I am keeping a sense of humor and a positive attitude. It's helping, I hope!

3. Describe a time you were figuratively thrown into 'the deep end'?

Six weeks ago, when I started my new job without what I would consider to be the type of training to help me succeed. It's a learn-as-you-go set-up and I'm not entirely comfortable but I'm learning to work with what I know and go from there, asking lots of questions.

4. Does the end always, ever, or never justify the means? Explain.

I'm too tired to think this one through so I'll just say yes, maybe, sometimes, rarely. How's that for vague?

5. What makes your hair stand on end?

Clueless parents who let their screaming children run wild.

6. I read an article on the website Eat This! Health, that listed 11 foods we can eat to help end bad moods. Basically it's a feed your brain so you're less anxious, grouchy and lethargic. The foods are-mussels, swiss chard, blue potatoes, grass fed beef, dark chocolate, greek yogurt, asparagus, honey, cherry tomatoes, eggs, and coconut. Which of those do you think would most help end your own bad mood? Which do you fear, if forced to eat, would put you into a bad mood?

Grass-fed beef (as in a big steak) and grilled asparagus. I can make it myself and end a bad mood but it would be so much better if someone cooked it for me, and served it, and cleaned up afterwards. Blue potatoes sound just weird, I think they would put me in a bad mood which is odd because I love potatoes. It's something about the blue that's off-putting.

7. What project around your home, office, or life in general feels like there is 'no end in sight'?

Oh my goodness, my office. It's just a catch-all for you name it and it's in there.  There are craft supplies galore, planner supplies (my new obsession), scrapbook albums, pages, photos, and memorabilia, filing to be done, things to list on Ebay, more filing to be done. I'm not sure when I'll see the floor or an uncluttered surface again. I'm beginning to feel like the people from Hoarders will soon be knocking on my door.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

Well, typing all that certainly gave me a chuckle and that's just what I needed. Happy Wednesday!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like lots to figure out and adjust to in your new role. I think that sort of thing helps keep us young though, so good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, screaming wild children make me crazy too. And when parents think their little darlings are so cute when they are doing that! I don't know who frustrates me more...the kid or the parent. I hope your week is good. It does not sound like fun to be the new person at your job. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like your positive attitude is going to get through this learning phase of your new job. Challenges such as this keep us stimulated and that can be a good thing at this point in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, those new-job acronyms are absolute torture! Alphabet soup, I call them. They make my head hurt.

    I could have written the entirety of #7 almost word for word about my own office! It HAS to be gotten in hand before my mother-in-law's visit, because it looked exactly the same during her last visit, and I don't want her to think I've done nothing for the last year and a half! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness, it sounds like you are definitely in an environment that keeps hopping. I hope that fall does find you at a bit more relaxed and your job gets easier

    stopping by from our blog annies home (http://shopannies.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there with the job. I remember being there when I first started working in the school office. I would joke about all the questions by giving them a random number.

    ReplyDelete