Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge Volume 238


1. It's October so let's get this out there first thing...have you jumped on the all-things-pumpkin bandwagon? How so?

Yes, as far as Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes go. I haven't had much time to branch out into anything else pumpkin yet but there is still time. I love that the pumpkin season is not just a month like Valentines or Easter or July 4th season - we have September, October, and November for sampling all things pumpkin.

2.  "We have more power than will; and it is often by way of excuse to ourselves that we fancy things are impossible." Francois Duc De la Rochefoucauld  

What's something you once thought impossible, but in hindsight see as more a matter of lack of will?

To ever get into the clothes in the skinny side of my closet! It's still a long way from possible but where there is a will, there is a way.

3. The rose is America's National Flower, but every state also has its own (click here to see the list). Are you happy with yours? If you were in charge what would you declare your state's flower? If you're outside the U.S. what bloom would you like to see labeled as your country's national flower?
In 1892, before they had the right to vote, Washington women selected the coast rhododendron as the state flower. They wanted an official flower to enter in a floral exhibit at the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago. Six flowers were considered, but the final decision was narrowed to clover and the "rhodie," and voting booths were set up for ladies throughout the state. When the ballots were counted, the rhododendron had been chosen as the Washington state flower.
Meh, it's ok. Honestly, I'm not that crazy about flowers unless I get a delivery. I'm useless at growing them, just as useless at arranging them.

4. What have you lost interest in recently?

Scrapbooking - everything in my craft room is in such a mess and I just don't have time. Saving it all for those long nights and weekends of deployment time.

5. In your opinion, who's the best living musician?

Paul McCartney - from the Beatles to Wings to a solo artist, largely self-taught and still going strong after 58 years, his music is easy to listen to and you can understand all the words. Really showing my age here.

6. S'mores-love 'em or no? Ever make them indoors? Last time you sat around an outdoor fire? Are making s'mores and sitting round a fire pit on your autumn bucket list? Do you have an autumn bucket list?

No bucket list. Lots of bucket lists pinned to Pinterest but I doubt I'll get to any of them. Love S'mores, loved Starbucks S'Mores Frappucinos and hope they bring them back. Not really a sit around an outdoor fire type of girl, haven't done it in a long, long time and all I remember about the last time is that even though the fire was roaring, I was still cold.

7. Your favorite small town? Why?

Kettlewell in the Yorkshire Dales National Park in England, absolutely charming, so picturesque, would love to live there.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Super busy as always, lots going on in life right now. Hope I get a chance to visit a few of your Hodgepodge posts...eventually!

2 comments:

  1. I'm kind of happy to hear the rhododendrum is the state flower. I fell in love with the ginormous plants out there when I visited my daughter last May. Course they were all in full bloom then too which made them extra lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always nice to know more about you :)

    ReplyDelete