Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Volume 297


It's time to Hodgepodge - click on the photo above if you'd like to join in!

1.   What do/did you call your grandparents?  If it's something unusual, tell us the story behind the name.  If you're a grandparent, what do your grands call you?  Who chose your moniker?

I never knew my grandfathers.  My maternal grandmother was Ninny - no idea where that came from and it's on my list of things I should have asked my Mum before she died.  Ninny's name was Elizabeth so perhaps someone way back when couldn't pronounce Elizabeth and it became Ninny?  My paternal grandmother was Grandma Moler and then Grandma Beard when she remarried.  We just called her Grandma.  I don't have grands yet so I'm not sure what Vic and I will be called when the time comes.  My parents were Nana and Poppy to Sophia so no doubt it will be something along those lines.

2.  Ever taken a road trip along the California Coast?  If so, what was the highlight of your trek?  If not, any desire to do so?  If you were to take a trip along the California Coast, what's one attraction you'd have on your must-see list?

We hit a small piece of the California Coast on our trip from Washington to Virginia.  I love the northern California Coast, it's so rugged, it reminds me of something out of one of those movies that's based around a fishing village - The Perfect Storm or something like that.  I snapped this photo when we pulled over along the side of the road.


I haven't been much farther south along the California Coast than San Francisco but on our next trip out that way, I'd like to visit Hearst Castle.



3.  What are three things you don't know how to do?

Knit, crochet, sew...I focused on the cooking side in Home Economics class!

4.  Tom Peters is quoted as saying, "Celebrate what you want to see more of."  If that's true, what will you celebrate and more importantly, how will you celebrate?

I want to see more of the world.  If I can't physically travel to all the four corners, I'll travel virtually.  It's so much fun to travel along with friends through their Facebook photos and blog posts.  The Internet provides us with such a wealth of photos and information, it's almost like you're there.

5.  Thursday (February 16) is National Almond Day.  Do you like almonds?  Which would you prefer - an Almond Joy or a macaron?  What's something you make that calls for almonds?

I love almonds and my choice would be a macaron, preferably one from Ladurée!  I make a Bakewell Tart which is a delicious way to enjoy almonds.




6.  What does Saturday morning look like at your house?

Lazy and cozy - fleece robes, mugs of steaming coffee, something sweet for breakfast, usually This Old House On Demand.

7.  Share with us a favorite book you've read this winter.



While we were in Washington, I always picked up Debbie Macomber's latest Christmas novel.  She used to come to our local Navy Exchange to autograph her books so I picked up one in 2014, and again in 2015.  Unfortunately, we left before her scheduled visit in 2016 so this one is not signed.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I've really been enjoying Victoria on PBS.  I picked up the March/April 2017 issue of Tea Time magazine and was intrigued by this upcoming event:
Afternoon Tea with Queen Victoria

Spend an afternoon learning about Queen Victoria at Lady Bedford's Tea Parlour, named after one of the monarch's ladies-in-waiting.  Allis Rennie will speak about Queen Victoria's early life, her ascent to the throne, her marriage to Prince Albert, and the birth of her children.  Cost is $30 per person.  Reservations are required and can be made by calling 910-255-0100.  For more information, visit ladybedfords.com.
I was so excited to see it was just over the state line in North Carolina but my excitement turned to disappointment when I realized it was 200 miles over the state line and on a weekday.  I would have considered making the trip on a weekend, maybe turn it into a little getaway, but a weekday makes it impossible.  If you're closer, I hope you can take advantage of what sounds like a really fun afternoon.

28 comments:

  1. I would love to have learned to sew and knit. My oldest daughter can knit (taught by my mother-in-law) but not me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mum tried to teach me how to knit but I never could get it to turn out the way it should (straight lines!).

      Delete
  2. I LOVE Debbie Macomber's Christmas books and the movies they turn into. The only thing that keeps my Saturday mornings from being lazy is my sweet pup who insists I get up and get ready immediately upon opening my eyes to take him for a walk. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know the feeling. My daughter was a counselor at camp last summer so her (our) dog stayed with me. Every morning, I would wake up to her with her front paws on the side of the bed and her tail wagging as if to say "It's time to go out".

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed reading your answers, Pamela! That afternoon tea does sound like a fun afternoon. Maybe some of the ladies who live in the area will get there and blog about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother sewed and crocheted, but I didn't have the patience for it. I too focused on cooking in home etc, but was disappointed we didn't get to have much hands on in that area. I am also enjoying Victoria and a tea like that sounds fun. Your tart looks good. I had never heard of a macaron before today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there was a sewing option in Home Ec but I just wasn't that bothered. I regret it now especially when all the beautiful fabrics come out at the holidays and I wish I could whip out some cloth placemats and matching napkins.

      Delete
  5. Love your photo from California, not how I pictured it but looks beautiful. I can't sew, knit or crochet either. Afternoon tea sounds lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the coast was stunning. Wish I was a better photographer!

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed your hodgepodge....I too LOVE Debbie Macomber, though I haven't read one in a while. We just finished watching Victoria! LOVED it! Soo entertaining. Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We lived quite close to Debbie Macomber's Tea Room - all of her books were there and it was a lovely gathering place for our spouse groups.

      Delete
  7. Greetings from the HodgePodge list. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you, too. I love the Hodgepodge, such a great group of bloggers.

      Delete
  8. I LOVE it that you're also an Anglophile. Somehow, although taking several wonderful trips to England, I fall short in the qualifications for a true Anglophile because I like coffee far better than tea. :-) But I love everything else, and am enjoying Victoria on PBS as well. Even better than that, in my opinion, is The Crown on Netflix. It's like comfort food for the Anglophile soul! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm watching The Crown right now - love it! I see there is a Season 2 coming also. Have you watched Home Fires?

      Delete
  9. I'm sure you will come up with the perfect name when the time comes. I started Victoria and just could not get into it but I probably should have stuck with it a while longer. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and for your comment! Those macarons look wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure - love the Hodgepodge for meeting new bloggers.

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed reading this, hope to join in next time. p.s. I Love Debbie Macomber too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her books are so much fun - I watched the Cedar Cove series on Netflix, now I need to read all of the books.

      Delete
  12. I love the Laudree too. I'm with you on traveling too. The more you travel the more you realize how much you're never going to see. But still we try : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be fabulous just to travel, to take off and explore every corner of the world? There was a retired couple at our church and they made it their goal to visit all seven continents - took a cruise to Antarctica, with a land portion, when they were in their late 70s.

      Delete
  13. What a fun post! Our grandkids call us Grammy and Gramps or Grampsy. My parents became Gigi and Papa when they had great-grandchildren. To my kids they were grandma and Papa. Debbie Macomber is one of my favorite authors. I buy her books on the day they're published. I love raw almonds. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Debbie Macomber's books are a fun read.

      Delete
  14. I hope that you do make to NH someday. I strongly suggest that you drive Route 1 along our coastline, as brief as it is. However it is worth it, especially if you continue into Maine. Another "Must See' are the White Mountains and a ride up Mount Washington on the Cog Railway. Thank you for your kind words and your visit to my blog page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tips - always nice to have some details from someone local.

      Delete