Monday, April 10, 2017

H is for James Herriot


England was always going to be a part of my A to Z Bookshelves Challenge but I didn't realize how much of England's Yorkshire would be present.  Today's favorite is James Herriot, the country vet made famous by his books which became the much-loved television series, All Creatures Great and Small.  My first favorite is for all of the parents and grandparents who are reading, James Herriot's Treasury for Children.


Sophia and I loved the stories of Moses, Bonny, Oscar, and Smudge among others.  I'll leave you to find out from the stories the identity of these delightful characters.  The wonderful stories are enhanced by the beautiful illustrations by Ruth Brown and Peter Barrett.  Delight your children and grandchildren by sharing these stories with them.

 I love all of James Herriot's books and I have a wonderful compilation, The Best of James Herriot, from The Reader's Digest Association.  It has stories from James Herriot's original books with additional material by Reader's Digest editors including beautiful photographs and all sorts of little did-you-know sidebars.


James Herriot's Darrowby, the town where the young vet got his first job with Siegfried Farnon is not one but four places in Yorkshire - it is a composite of Richmond, Thirsk, Leyburn, and Middleham.  When we visited Yorkshire, we took a field trip to Thirsk and toured The World of James Herriot, a museum housed in James Herriot's (real name:  James Alfred "Alf" Wight, OBE, FRCVS) surgery.  It is a fascinating place to visit.

Sophia and I are huge fans of the All Creatures Great and Small DVD series.  We would spend many evenings with chips and gravy and, as we call it, some "James".  A little England fix to warm the heart.

8 comments:

  1. Visiting from A to Z Challenge -- I remember reading James Herriot's books many years ago and especially loved "All Creatures Great and Small." I must ask a question. Are chips and gravy the same thing as chips and dip? Would love for you to come visit - http://lisa-musingsofamiddle-agedmom.blogspot.com/2017/04/h-is-for-atozchallenge2017.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, sorry, I should have clarified that - chips is the English word for French fries so it's fries with gravy. Delicious!

      Delete
  2. Now there is an author I haven't read in ages. I am very partial to A.A. Milne. I should get these books for my grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we had a couple of his books at my parents place, but I don't know why, I have never read them.

    I am blogging about books I read before I started the blog
    for my y A to Z:
    the Bobsey Twins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the Bobbsey Twins! Along with Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, and the Happy Hollisters, I read them all.

      Delete
  4. I remember reading the James Herriot books long ago. If you enjoyed *them*, you'll also enjoy Andrew Peacock's "Creatures of the Rock", which tells the humorous stories of a veterinarian in Newfoundland, Canada :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Herriot's stories are delightful. I think I've read four of the books, one after the other. Have you ever seen the show Vets in Practice? It's a documentary TV series about veterinarians in the UK today, really well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't heard of Vets in Practice. I will look for it, thank you!

      Delete